Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Let me Google that for you


I'm naturally inquisitive. I wonder about a lot of things. I remember days on the playground pondering the development of language between running around playing chase or games of pig on the basketball court. Who decided that the letters c-a-t looked, sounded and meant what they do now? So maybe my nerdy tendencies run deep but I am grateful to my parents for developing my sense of wonderment.

I still have that same questioning nature about me, the only difference between then and now? I can find answers to my questions at a moment's notice. The universe's answers are at my fingertips 24-7. Does this make me any less inquisitive because the information is so easily accessible? 

Absolutely not! In fact, people who know me well know that I often have problems sleeping and it's frequently the result of a random question, thought or idea. A quick search for an answer can lead me down a rabbit hole of knowledge for hours. I have often found myself suddenly in complete darkness because the day had ended around me. While I have received criticism for being too reliant on technology, I have learned to acknowledge and move on because for an information nerd like myself, the instant access to answers allows my obsessive tendencies to let go.


Rather than chastise the younger generation about their use of technology and bombard them with comments such as "when I was young and in school..." acknowledge that the world is not what it once was when you were young. In case you haven't noticed, the younger generation is often rebellious and stubborn. Instead of complaining, chastising or otherwise making us feel bad for using the modern technology, learn with us and help us to build a culture around the quest for learning and knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment