Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Being a teacher is hard

Being a teacher is hard. The range from pure joy to heartbreak is greater than I could have possibly ever imagined. The things that bring me joy are so different then what I thought where the redeemable factors for teaching. Anyone in the educational field laughs at the idea of it being a nine to five job with a great paycheck. And most people in the world recognize, acknowledge and appreciate the sacrifice that teachers make. But there is no way to fully put into words the joy of watching a student understand something for the first time. Or hearing a middle schooler say that it's the first time they been excited to go to school because they have friends. I've worked and been exposed to students in many different environments from those who are multi billion dollar heirs to children whose greatest wish in the world is to have food whenever they are hungry.

While I have a responsibility to ensure that students are learning a certain amount of content, I
believe that our education system has gotten away from teaching people how to exist as human beings. I work at a school now that puts a high priority on creative thinking, problem solving, kindness and acceptance. Teaching students how to have a conversation, particularly if there is a disagreement, is a critical skill, in my opinion, missing in today's society. Children are learning how
to hide behind social media to flame, argue and shame others simply for having a different perspective or opinion. I know it's hard for people to see that schools and education are different than what they were when you were a kid. They are different from when I begin teaching 6 years ago. It will never be a perfect system, of that I am sure. But if you are disappointed in ”the children of today,” I challenge you to contact a teacher and go spend time in their classroom. If you want society to change, empower our younger generation. Help them see they have a voice, they are important, and that their ideas have value.

No comments:

Post a Comment